By: Aubrie Laufenberg
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. –For the second week in a row, South Dakota State's Chase Cayo and Purdue Fort Wayne's Emma Rafuse were named The Summit League Cross Country Male and Female Athletes of the Week, respectively.
Chase Cayo, South Dakota State
Junior | St. Michael, Minn.
- Earned his fourth career athlete of the week honor and second of the season
- Finished 69th with a season-best time of 24:48.5 in the 8K at the Pre-Nationals Invitational featuring 242 runners and 13 nationally-ranked teams
- With his finish, he reset the league's fastest 8K time this season
Also nominated: Logan Kitchen (Purdue Fort Wayne), Lucas Lingle (Western Illinois), Braden Clapp (Oral Roberts), Eldon Warner (South Dakota), Tim Heikkila (North Dakota State)
Emma Rafuse, Purdue Fort Wayne
Senior | Greenville, Wis.
- Earned her seventh career weekly honor and third this season
- Placed sixth out of 302 runners at the Bradley Pink Classic
- Clocked a 20:45.9 in the 6K, just shy of a top 10 all-time Summit League performance (10th spot is 20:43.1)
Also nominated: Jessica Romero (Oral Roberts), Nicole Beebe (Western Illinois), Madeline Huglen (South Dakota), Kelby Anderson (North Dakota State), Rachel King (South Dakota State)
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.