SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – A trio of Summit League record-breakers was honored as October Athletes of the Month, league officials announced Wednesday. For the second-straight month, an Oral Roberts soccer player captured the male honor as Tanguy Guerineau led his squad to a 4-1 record during the month and first national ranking since 2005.
On the women's side, South Dakota State's record-setting goalkeeper Maggie Smither shared the female honor with South Dakota cross country runner Abby Ripperda, who ran the fastest 5,000-meters in league history in October.
Guerineau scored two goals and collected six assists during a month that saw Oral Roberts move into the United Soccer Coaches' Top 25 poll. Four of his assists led to game-winning goals in each of the Golden Eagles' October victories. ORU remained unbeaten in league play and Guerineau took over the national lead in assists, which he now holds with 12.
Smither started the month with six consecutive shutouts to extend a Summit League single-season record streak to 12 before it was broken late in October. She leads all Division I goalkeepers with 13 on the season entering the upcoming Summit League Championship. For the month, Smither allowed only three goals and made 34 saves in eight matches for the Jackrabbits.
Ripperda was a two-time Summit League Female Cross Country Athlete of the Week during October after winning the Bradley Pink Classic with the third-fastest, 6,000-meter time in South Dakota history. She also garnered the weekly honor after running the second-fastest, 5,000-meter time in Summit League history to finish eighth at the prestigious Chile Pepper Festival in Arkansas.
Male Athlete of the Month
Tanguy Guerineau, Oral Roberts, Men's Soccer
Senior | Midfielder | Montpellier, France
- Finished the month with two goals and league-high six assists
- Assisted on all four game-winning goals during ORU's 4-1 stretch through October
- A two-time Summit League Player of the Week recipient in October
- Leads the nation with an ORU single-season record 12 assists
Also nominated: Hudson Wilkerson, South Dakota; Joseph Minor-Williams, South Dakota State.
Co-Female Athlete of the Month
Abby Ripperda, South Dakota, Women's Cross Country
Junior | Runner | Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Won the Bradley Pink Classic with third-fastest, 6,000-meter time in Coyote history
- Placed 8th at the prestigious Chile Pepper Festival by running second-fastest, 5,000-meter time in Summit League history
- Two-time Female Cross County Athlete of the Week in October
Co-Female Athlete of the Month
Maggie Smither, South Dakota State, Women's Soccer
Senior | Goalkeeper | Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Posted six of her NCAA-leading 13 shutouts in October league play
- Twelve consecutive shutouts and subsequent victories were both program records
- Surrendered only three goals in eight matches during the month (0.36 gaa)
- Two-time Defensive Player of the Week in October (Seven for career are second most in Summit League history)
Also nominated: Rachael Crucis, Purdue Fort Wayne; Sadie Limback, Omaha; Jordan Langenbartels, Oral Roberts.
2019-20 Summit League Athletes of the Month
Male: Dante Brigida/Oral Roberts/Soccer
Female: Elyse Huber/North Dakota State/Soccer
Male: Tanguy Guerineau/Oral Roberts/Soccer
Female: Abby Ripperda/South Dakota/Cross Country
Follow The Summit League
SOCIAL: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: #ReachTheSummit