ELMHURST, Ill. – A pair of second basemen from Fort Wayne (Mike Snyder) and Oral Roberts (Nick Roark) were named The Summit League Baseball Players of the Week, while Omaha relief pitcher Cal Hehnke earned the Pitcher of the Week award for their performances April 16-22.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Mike Snyder, Fort Wayne
So. // 2B // Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Captured his first career Player of the Week award
- Led Fort Wayne to a series sweep over Omaha with a .429 (6-of-14) batting average, .571 slugging percentage and .429 on-base percentage
- Totaled six runs, five RBI, three stolen bases and two doubles on the week
- Went 3-for-5 in game two of the series with three runs, two RBI, a pair of steals and one double
- Had at least one hit and one run scored in all three games
Nick Roark, Oral Roberts
Sr. // 2B // Broken Arrow, Okla.
- Earned his second career Player of the Week honor and first this season
- Helped the Golden Eagles to a series win over the Jackrabbits with a 4-for-5 outing with two runs scored, two RBI and a double in game two
- Added a pair of hits each in games one and three, while providing a hit and RBI in a mid-week win at Oklahoma State
- For the week, batted .474 (9-of-19) with six RBI, three runs, two doubles and a pair of walks
- Had a .579 slugging percentage and .524 on-base percentage in four games this week
Also nominated: Nick Smith, South Dakota State
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Spencer Henson, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Logan Busch, North Dakota State; March 5 – Mason Pierzchalski, North Dakota State; March 12 – Riley Keizor, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Braden Rogers, Omaha; March 26 – Thomas DeBonville, Omaha; April 2 – Noah Cummings, Oral Roberts; April 9 – Phil Velez, South Dakota State; April 16 – Josh Falk, South Dakota State
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Cal Hehnke, Omaha
Jr. // RHP // Grand Island, Neb.
- Awarded his first career Pitcher of the Week honor
- Totaled eight innings pitched in relief across three games with no runs allowed, just two hits, nine strikeouts and only one walk
- Had the league's longest relief outing of the week, tossing six innings with five strikeouts, while allowing no walks and two hits at Fort Wayne
- Earned the save in Omaha's first win over Nebraska since 1997
- Recorded three strikeouts with no hits in an inning of relief at Creighton
Also nominated: Chase Phelps, Fort Wayne; Blake Stockert, North Dakota State; Justin McGregor, Oral Roberts; Brady Stover, South Dakota State; Ian Koch, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 19 – Justin McGregor, Oral Roberts; Feb. 26 – Riley Johnson, North Dakota State; March 5 – Payton Kinney, Omaha; March 12 – Kyler Stout, Oral Roberts; March 19 – Spencer Koelewyn, Omaha/Ryan Dunne, Western Illinois; March 26 – Riley Johnson, North Dakota State; April 2 – Shane Odzark, Fort Wayne; April 9 – Blake Stockert, North Dakota State; April 16 – Miguel Ausua, Oral Roberts
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.